Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kayak #1

I have wanted to build a strip-built wooden kayak for a while now. Mostly because I really like kayaking and wooden boats are superior to plastic ones in almost every way (lighter, prettier, custom built, etc...) Since I nearly graduated I decided that this summer was a great opportunity to try my hand at constructing one. After some finagling I got permission to build it at the ISU outdoor Rec gear room (yay!). And the research began to decide what boat to build.

Originally I wanted to do a fully custom designed boat but I decided against it when I realized all the detailing that was needed that I didnt understand. There are many kayak designers across the country. Most notably are Nick Schade, Rob Mack, Jason Babina, to name a few. I wanted to build a boat for Sarah who requires slightly different sizing. I chose to order plans for a Redfish Silver from Joe Greenly at Redfish Kayaks.

So. Step one was completed, I had a space to work and plans for the boat. I also have been using Nick Schrades book, The Strip-Built Sea Kayak, as a reference to where I deviate from the Redfish designs.

Step two was finding supplies as cheaply as possible.

#1, wood
Many kinds of wood can be used to build kayaks. Traditionally the people of Greenland and Alaska first developed kayaks out of driftwood to hunt seals. The standard wood now is clear (no knots) Western Red Cedar because it has a very good strength to weight ratio (.31) and its beautiful variations in color.

However, its impossible to find clear Western Red Cedar in the midwest. After calling about 20 places I finally found a lumber yard that would ship it for free and I only pay for the wood. Along with the cedar I chose to use local Cypress for its yellows and reds

and I plan on doing some trim and detailing with Walnut.


#2, fiberglass and epoxy
Ive never worked with these materials before so its a little scary. After the boats gets stripped I will cover it with a fiberglass coat to give it its strength. I found a great deal on MAS epoxyies and sent out for a $345 order for hopefully everything I will need.

#3, tools
A kayak is largely a hand built project however I did need to round up some tools. I bought a nice Japanese pull saw and a block plane. Chad offered the use of his table saw along with numerous other needed items. And Paul let me use his jig saw.

so with that I had almost all the necessary supplies to make this boat!

more later

No comments:

Post a Comment